Welcome to The 369th Experience!
The 369th Experience is part of a series of events endorsed by the
World War I Centennial Commission and sponsored in part by The Coca Cola
Foundation to commemorate the 100th anniversary of World War I.
A key component of this celebration is the recreation of the 369th
Regimental Band, the band, which in its original form, consisted of 65 African
American and Puerto Rican gentlemen who charmed the hearts and minds of
Americans and Europeans.
Led by Bandmaster, James Reese Europe and Drum Major and Lead
Vocalist, Noble Sissle, the famous Harlem Hell Fighters regimental
band’s spirited arrangements of ragtime, jazz and blues first introduced
European audiences to the novel sounds of this American music.
Funded by a generous grant from The Coca Cola Foundation, this new
369th Experience Student Band will be taught the history and repertoire of the original
Harlem Hell Fighters Band and will
retrace their steps of the, performing the band's repertoire at
centennial celebrations in New York City; Brest and Paris, France; and a host
of other historical locales.
Join the Celebration!
The only thing missing from The 369th Experience is YOU!
Beginning in November 2016, 75 freshmen and sophomore music students
from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and other colleges
and universities across America will be selected to join the band. Students
chosen for the final band will be announced in 2017.
Participants will take part in a series of commemorative events
culminating with performances at historic sites across the United States and
Europe. This is your opportunity to pay special tribute to the men who
sacrificed so much and inspired so many.
Complete the online application for your chance to make history!
The official application for The 369th
Experience Band should include the following:
- A digital audition video (Detailed instructions on Form 4);
- Form 1: Completed and Signed The 369th
Experience Band - Membership Application;
- Form 2: Completed, Initialed and Signed, Form 2:The 369th Experience Band Member – Preparation/Rules of
Conduct, Understanding & Acknowledgement;
- Form 3: Completed and Signed, Form 3: The 369th
Experience Band Member Release;
- Form 4: Completed and Signed, The 369th Experience Band
Audition Video Submission Instructions
- Online payment of the non-refundable Application Processing Fee $3.69.
Completed Application Forms must be submitted online immediately.
Once selected, participants must adhere to the following academic
and performance progress guidelines:
- Maintain good standing with the student's respective
- Maintain full time enrollment (minimum 12 hours) status each
semester with no incompletes (I), withdrawals or failing
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5;
- Students must agree to a background check from law enforcement
agencies from their hometown and/or the city
where their educational institution is located.